Sunday, September 16, 2012

9/16/12

Dear Papa,

I haven't started the book you sent.
It's on my night stand, under a
 couple others that I'm
pretending to read.

Maybe inside the book
you sent,
there is some hidden truth, some
formula for
letting go.

I'm a curiosity, Papa, a
character in a novel with an
interesting backstory.
We might study my motives
and emotions, my rising and falling,
and tie them to specific instances,
or patterns.

We like backstories, and motives.
We are fascinated by the minute
part of the mind we are able to understand, amazed by how much,
how little
of this great mysterious aspect of life we can
comprehend.

Mine would be too personal, because you
love me,
and what motivates me would make you
helpless.

I'll bring the book, then, today.
And I'll look for answers you didn't mean to send.

I find immense comfort in the safety you imagine for me.

Love,
yr daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment